Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dips, Steaks, and Sandwich inspiration

The other night we had friends over for dinner and I wanted to put out something for an appetizer. I put out a bag of multi-grain corn chips and some salsa, but when one of our guests asked for dip, "you know, like white dip?" I had to improvise.

I always keep a packet of Lipton Onion Soup dry mix in the cupboard (it is great in mashed potatoes!) and we happened to have Fat Free sour cream in the fridge.
Instead of following the recipe for traditional Onion Dip I just took a few tablespoons of the Fat Free sour cream and a sprinkle of onion soup powder from the pouch! (Check out the sour cream info here: it is totally unnecessary to use full-fat for this dip!)Mix to taste and you have a light delicious dip for veggies or chips.

The next day, our nutrition guide called for a grilled flank steak. I could only buy a large flank steak that was good for 2 meals for 2 people so I had plenty of leftovers. I originally cooked the steak marinated with some good balsamic vinegar, garlic, and some herbs. For lunch the following day we had grilled vegetable foccacia and we had leftover foccacia as well. (Found a low-fat recipe online)

For dinner last night I found a delicious combination:
Steak-Dip Sandwich
1/4 loaf low-fat foccacia bread, sliced in half lengthwise
6-8 oz leftover flank steak, sliced thin
1.5 oz non-fat cheddar cheese
2 tbs non-fat onion dip
(Added grilled onion or veggies would be sweet too!)
I ate it open faced and heated in the toaster oven, but could be panini-fied too! (just lay off the extra oil)

With a large side salad (about 2 cups of greens, sliced tomato, cucumber, balsamic) it made for an awesome, healthy dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment